Life is full of events worth celebrating. And celebrating a milestone event – family reunion, 50th birthday, graduation, or long-awaited wedding reception – with a once-in-a-lifetime milestone vacation is one of the best gifts you can give. Make memories and celebrate the good times at our Ambergris Caye, Belize, luxury resort.
Here are 4 things to consider when planning a milestone vacation.
1. Plan ahead
Scheduling the date of a milestone vacation might be the hardest part, but it’s important to make sure that everyone has enough time to plan their time away from work, as well as to schedule around all of life’s other commitments. “High season” (also known as the dry season) in Belize runs from around late November until mid-April. Tourists fill the country during high season, looking for a relief from the colder weather. This means higher rates and less availability, both in accommodations as well as excursions. Holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas book up as much as a year in advance, so you should start planning well in advance if you are looking to bring a group to Belize during the holidays. Summers are known as the rainy season, and you can expect an afternoon shower to occur almost daily. However, the rain clears out quickly and the crowds are sparser during the summer, which is sometimes easier to navigate with a large group.
2. Location, location, location
Booking individual rooms can quickly drive up the price of your vacation. On the other hand, no one wants to hear Grandma snore so consider your living quarters carefully. When traveling with a large multi-generational group to celebrate a milestone vacation, your main goal is probably spending time together and making new memories. But vacation can also be tiring work, and everyone appreciates their own space after a busy day of adventuring. Consider booking fully-furnished residences with a full range of features. Being able to cook up a quick breakfast in your private kitchen and recounting the previous day’s adventures is a precious way to begin the day. Having a full arsenal of snacks and beverages on hand will help you control your dining budget. Gathering on your private balcony over after-dinner drinks to reminisce about past vacations is another opportunity to make memories that isn’t available in a traditional hotel set up.
The oversized luxury residences at Las Terrazas Resort feature 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms with 2 or 3 bathrooms, and a completely furnished kitchen, dining room, and living room – plus full-sized washers and dryers (but doing laundry on vacation is optional!). Complimentary WiFi, cable TV, DVD players, and surround sound keep everyone entertained during your downtime.
3. Organize excursions with everyone in mind
It’s possible that some of your group is dying to SCUBA dive Belize’s Barrier Reef, while others would prefer to lie on the beach with a frozen cocktail – and that’s okay. Planning a milestone vacation with a large group of people should also include planning a range of excursions in order to offer something for everyone. Some of Belize’s amazing excursions require physical capabilities that the older members of your group may not possess, such as climbing to the top of the ancient Mayan ruin of Lamanai or hiking through the Belizean jungle for a cave tubing adventure. Nevertheless, there are many activities that groups of people with different ages and physical abilities may enjoy together. We recommend a Catamaran cruise and beach picnic, with rum punch and snorkel stops included. In addition to water sports, Belize is also famous for its fishing, horseback riding, and zip lining.
Our Reservations Manager can send a complete list of adventures and excursions to you and help plan an exciting itinerary prior to your arrival or you can view a list of adventures here. Additionally, our onsite concierge is available throughout your stay to book outings once you arrive.
4. It’s all in the details
It’s the little things that will make your trip most memorable for the guest of honor. Notifying your resort of the special occasion in advance will help the staff to greet the guest of honor properly upon arrival and allow the resort to show some extra love.
Other tips include:
- Consider hiring a photographer to catalog that day on the Catamaran cruise or capture generations of smiles with a photo session on our picturesque property.
- Arrange for a welcome bouquet of local tropical flowers to greet the guest of honor upon arrival.
- Make use of the resort’s WiFi and share photos with friends and family who are unable to join you on vacation and allow them to send greetings and well wishes.
- Take advantage of a grocery stocking service (see #2 above re: arsenal of snacks!) and have everyone’s favorites waiting for them. There is usually a nominal fee associated with this service, but it will save you precious vacation time and keep everyone happy.
- Your crew will enjoy the fabulous eateries on the island of Ambergris Caye, but be sure to plan at least one sit down dinner with true Belizean flair. Chef Nolvin and the team at Las Terrazas Resort’s onsite O Restaurant are famous for our Belizean Beach BBQs, served buffet style on our private white sand beach. If you would rather watch the sun set before partying the night away, plan a dinner at our Rooftop Sky Lounge, where the views will stun you as much as the cuisine.
When you are ready to start planning your special milestone event, call our US-based Reservations Manager at (713) 780-1233 or (800) 447-1553, and we will answer any questions you may have about Las Terrazas Resort and travel in Belize. We look forward to customizing the adventure of a lifetime.
Would you like to learn more about planning a honeymoon, corporate retreat, or family vacation? Sign up for our monthly newsletter to receive exclusive travel offers.